DESCRIPTION: Sleep apnea is when your upper airway temporarily collapses during sleep and breathing stops for anywhere from 10 seconds to 1 minute.
SIDE EFFECTS: Sleep apnea causes next day drowsiness (Bad for attention when driving to work), headaches (Really hard to concentrate with the drum corps beating behind your eyes), heart disease (Yes, it seriously affects your heart), learning & memory disorders (Good-bye new job when I can’t remember my job instructions), incorrect perception of reality (Are you sure you didn’t say that?) and mood disorders like depression (Very debilitating).
YOUR STRONGEST RISK FACTORS FOR SLEEP APNEA: are obesity & high blood pressure. It really is true – everything is interconnected. When you overeat you stress your heart which stresses your blood pressure which weakens your upper airway while you’re sleeping. Oh what a circle.
SPIRITUAL FACTORS behind Obesity & High Blood Pressure include these broken spiritual connections:
- Fear. Without a spiritual belief in something other than yourself, you’ll find that your broken inner self will continue to run the show.
- The need for protection. Fight or flight is basic to survival, but living in flight day in and day out is exhausting to the human body.
- Running away from your feelings instead of expressing them. Speak to someone you trust. Bottling it up and stuffing your feelings only stresses out your body and that stress will land in an already weakened part of you physically and further the damage already begun.
- Unfounded insecurity. This is a carryover from early childhood days when you couldn’t protect yourself. Today, as an adult, you are no longer that same vulnerable child.
- Self rejection. This could look like an eating disorder or not wanting to live in your own body.
- Long standing emotional problems that you won’t address and heal. Could have been abuse, abandonment or addictions.
If you have sleep apnea you can be sure you are feeling guilty about owning your feelings of disappointment, bitterness, unforgiveness and resentment. You likely feel overworked, underappreciated, abandoned, abused and unworthy. These guilty feelings are in effect trying to physically suffocate your hurt feelings in the area of your voice and throat.
But hang on. There are solutions.
SPIRITUAL SOLUTIONS TO SLEEP APNEA
- Correct your nutrition. It’s obvious – stop eating foods that are genetically modified, sprayed with poisons and fed crap food to grow the animal quickly.
- Bless your past and let it go. If you will practice living in today and learn from your past while you let it go, you will experience miracles in more than your sleeping patterns.
- Speak up for your needs which include:
- Safety, security, comfort, order, consistency, control of your own life.
- Significance – Ask yourself if your life has purpose and if you feel needed by someone or something.
- Variety. Boredom is a sure motivation killer.
- Love & Connection – For spiritual wellness you need someone or something to love and to be loved back.
- Growth – in the areas of physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual development.
- Contribution – Where in your life are you caring for and helping others?
When you repair the spiritual, mental and emotional breaks in your personality your physical health will automatically follow suit.
Your body was designed to repair itself regularly. Did you know that your lungs repair and replace themselves every six weeks and that you have a whole new body throughout every seven years?
Remember these three things:
- You have to feed your cells the nutrition they need in order for those cells to replicate healthy.
- Starting today let go of the past and stop stressing your cells.
- And lastly, remind yourself that it’s time to re-connect with a Power greater than yourself and bring peace to your past and joy into today.
You can do this.