If you were to ask a few people around you right now about long distance relationships, they will tell you that they are the worst thing anyone could experience. But things are not quite as they say. As many other things, long distance relationships have pros and cons.
As an optimistic, I will start with the pros or long distance relationships:
- You miss your partner – couples that live together often have one problem. They do not have time to miss each other due to the fact that they barely get alone time. They constantly see each other and sometimes this can drive you nuts. In a long distance relationship you get to miss your partner, his smell, smile, touch and many things.
- You get alone time – despite contrary beliefs, me time is very important. In a relationship and outside of it as well. You get time to relax, do the things you love, go out with friends, stay with your family, study or simply watch a movie or a TV show that you love.
- It’s a constant honeymoon – people who are in a long distance relationship know what I am talking about. While spending time with yourself is important, when you get the chance of meeting your partner is a constant honeymoon. You drink wine together and have long romantic evenings, you go out more for walks in the park. And not to mention that sex is better.
But there are also cons when you are having a long distance relationship:
- Distance – ironic huh? But distance is your biggest enemy. You see your partner not as often as you would like and that can be frustrating sometimes. Especially when you hear your friends that they have a date on Friday and you know the only thing you have a date with is your laptop. Also you might feel like he can’t be there for you, especially through the dark periods of your relationship, because you only see his face, but he can’t hug you.
- Tech is your best friend – as we do not spend enough time on our phones, a long distance relationship is based mostly on tech. You Skype, Facebook or text all through the day in order to communicate with your partner.
- Things can get heated – if you are a rather jealous person you might get a little out of your mind in a long distance relationship. Mostly because you want to keep tabs on your boyfriend and if he is some miles away, you can’t.
Despite what people believe long distance relationship do work. But they work only if the two partners are fully committed and ready to make it work. Face to face relationships have hiccups sometimes, let alone the long distance ones. But if you are ready to make it work, compromise and understand that this situation will not last forever, your relationship will hold on. And to be fair, it is always nice to know you have someone waiting for you at the train station when you arrive.
by Tim L