If you want to win this year’s award for best party, then you can’t lose with a Hollywood theme. Here are the top nine reasons why this may be the perfect idea for your next major celebration.
1. RSVPs will be yes, yes, yes. Who could resist attending a party with a Hollywood theme? Each guest you invite will know from the time they open the invitation that this will be a memorable event. You can guarantee a big crowd, when you decide to roll out the red carpet.
2. It works for all age groups. Whether the guest of honor is one or one hundred, they’re a star at a Hollywood theme party. And all of their friends and family will feel like celebrities, too. It doesn’t matter if the crowd is very young, middle age, older or a mixed crew because it appeals to everyone.
3. It’s a great party idea for any special occasion. If you’re planning a celebration for a birthday, sweet 16, bat mitzvah, anniversary, graduation or retirement, here’s your chance to recognize the guest of honor as a superstar. Turn it into an award ceremony, where he or she wins for best leading man or woman, and then let him or her give an acceptance speech.
4. It will be easy for your guests to get into the act. Send your stars down the red carpet and watch them assume their roles of celebrity status. As they arrive, have some helpers act as paparazzi, taking flash snapshots with digital cameras. Let your invited actors and actresses pose for a photo opportunity with a few lifesize cardboard cutouts of famous people. Play movie soundtracks. Set the stage and you’ll put everyone at ease. A party with a Hollywood theme is a real ice breaker.
5. It’s a great excuse to dress up. If you’re planning a glamorous event, you can encourage your guests to wear formal gowns and tuxes. But if you would like to make it more casual, you can suggest they accessorize with glitz like feather boas, rhinestone jewelry, top hats and celebrity sunglasses. Another approach is to ask everyone to come dressed as their favorite movie character. Just make sure you include the dress code on the invitation, so no one will feel out of place.
6. Decorations are easy to find or make. Go to any party store and you’ll find a variety of items with the Hollywood theme. Search online for bargains and unique items, like lifesize cardboard celebrity cutouts, movie posters and 8 x 10 inch photos of famous actors and actresses. Use clapboards, director’s chairs, gold metallic tablecloths and little white Christmas lights to set the mood.
You can buy an imitation red carpet, but you can also make one using red plastic table cloths folded in half or inexpensive red fabric. To recreate the famous Hollywood sign, cut out big styrofoam or poster board letters and put up on the wall. And don’t forget to hang gold and silver stars everywhere.
7. It’s award season. Plan your party around the Academy Awards, Grammys, Golden Globes, Emmys or People’s Choice.. The main event can be the award show, itself, with every guest making predictions of the winners. The one with the most right could win a prize. Serve plenty of popcorn.
8. Planning activities is simple, because there’s so many possibilities. You could invite everyone to a movie premiere where the main event is watching the just released DVD of a blockbuster film. Or, play a DVD movie trivia game, like Scene-It. You can make up your own awards show, where you present each guest with a mini Oscar purchased from a party-supply outlet. Think up some amusing categories, like best-dressed, leading man, funniest comedian or cutest couple.
If you have the right crowd, you could encourage them to create a short two or three minute movie using the video on their cell phone or digital camera. The little movies could be filmed before the party or as an activity during the festivities. And of course, everyone votes to select best picture.
9. That’s entertainment! There’s no doubt about it, your guests are going to have a good time at a Hollywood theme party. The combination of silver screen atmosphere and cinematic activities will guarantee you rave reviews.
When it’s time to plan for your next big occasion, say “hooray for Hollywood”. A movie theme party will make your guest of honor feel like a star. And every person who attends will have so much fun, they’ll hope for a sequel.
by Linda Kling